Gary has built several earth ovens in India – but isn’t it time we had one at home? Having Sam here, a wwoofer who is keen to learn more about cob building, was a good excuse to get started.
1. A sturdy foundation was created using bricks and a portland cement/sand mix. The wire was used to form it up.
2. Sand, clay (found on our property) and straw…
… mixed together to form the actual oven.
3. A sand form is created to make a mold. A wooden block helps shape the front opening.
4. The clay/sand/straw mix is then applied thickly around the sand and a chimney hole is made on top.
5. When dry and firm, Gary and Sam removed the sand and placed paving slabs on the inside and at the front creating a smooth surface.
Panther inspects while we wait for another coat of clay to dry. Can’t wait for that first pizza!